Friday, June 22, 2007

Life has been pretty exciting lately. If you keep up with international news (or if you watch CNN at all) you will have noticed that Nairobi has been a pretty exciting place lately. With the Mungiki gang and "blasts" happening downtown it has made a few international headlines. To ease your worried hearts, I am doing fine and am completely safe. I'll probably write more about this later and the injustice that is present in handling these situations.

This morning I arrived from Mombasa. My classmate Mike and I traveled to the coast for 4 days and saw historical sites as well as enjoyed the white, sandy beaches. You can see more photos from this trip on my facebook here.

For the trip to Mombasa we left Nairobi on Sunday night at 10:45. I slept very well on the bus, although Mike had a rough night trying to use the curtain as a combination pillow/blanket. We arrived early in the morning in Mombasa, took a matatu to the ferry, floated to the mainland from Mombasa island, took another matatu to Ukunda, walked for quite a few kilometers with our suitcases in hand, got lost, took a taxi to where we were staying, and were on the beach by 10 am.

The second day we saw an old fort in Mombasa, visited the old town, went to a beautiful Jain Temple, and ate mangoes for dinner.

The third day we went to old Swahili ruins along the beach, went to a crocodile farm with over 10,000 crocodiles, and visited a Hindu temple that was inside a cave.

I will soon have more descriptions of the trip as the captions to my pictures on facebook.

I must leave the cyber cafe now because I want to beat the traffic going home.

3 Comments:

At 6:30 PM, Blogger Celia said...

Glad to hear you had an interesting and safe trip. Doesn't sound like quite as many scary events as usual. Looking forward to seeing the pics.

Love, Mom

 
At 6:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad to hear you're doing okay. When are you going back home?

 
At 7:01 PM, Blogger Celia said...

Just got done viewing your pics on facebook and apparently I was wrong about the "safe" part. It appears from the sign that the crocodiles were hungry and what's this solicitation message on the bus? A joke, I presume!! Let's hope!

Love, Mom

 

Post a Comment

<< Home